This recipe was inspired by my good friend and amazing creative wholefood cook, Kate Patterson, and is featured in this year’s Spring Cleanse program! It is a fantastic recipe to make at the beginning of the week, and keep in the fridge. Serve it up for breakfast or take to work for a mid-morning snack!
- 3/4 C millet (rinsed and soaked overnight)
- 3/4 quinoa (rinsed and soaked overnight)
- 1⁄2 C chia seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs good quality honey
- 3 medium bananas (mashed)
- 1⁄2 C chopped prunes
- 1⁄2 C chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 C water
- Strain millet and quinoa well
- Place all ingredients (except prunes and walnuts) into a food processor and blend until well combined
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes (to allow chia to work its magic…the chia will go gelatinous and the mixture should be ‘spoonable’ after this time (no excess liquid).
- Add walnuts and prunes to the mixture
- Spoon into greased muffin tins or a loaf tin (use coconut oil)
- Bake at 180°C for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of the tin, turn it over and bake bottom up for another 15 minutes
- Slice and enjoy!
Tip: Great toasted in a sandwich press with a bit of butter or coconut oil on top. Take to work as your ‘healthy’ banana bread version with your herbal tea or coffee alternative ‘dandelion’ latte!