I’m all rugged up by the fire place tonight with a full belly and a happy heart. I wanted to share this creation with you straight away because it is delicious, easy & cheap to make with all seasonal vegetables. Oh, I love it when I get creative in the kitchen…and it works!! hehe
In the weekend I bought a gorgeous big pumpkin and a great big head of silverbeet. I was craving a hearty wholesome winters dish, with leftovers that can be packaged into the freezer for lazy dinners later in the week. Things seem to flow more during the weeks where I am organised and pre-plan meals ahead. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m more organised or if I’m simply getting better Nutrition all week!!
I felt like pasta tonight, so I decided to make a curried pumpkin pasta sauce, with soba noodles and garlic sauteed silverbeet on the side. I used earthy spices such as cumin, coriander & dill, for depth, and ginger, garlic & chilli for extra bite! The amazing flavour was developed by sauteing the garlic, onion & ginger in 1 tbsp of butter for a few minutes (or until onion is soft), and then adding in the remaining spices for another 5-8-min over a low-medium heat. I made this in my thermomix, but have written the recipe up for stove-top. If you want the thermo version let me know!
Makes: 6 servings
Time: 10-minutes preparation
Total time: 50-minutes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cm cube of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pumpkin, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 400g pre-soaked & cooked chickpeas, or 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 1 packet of soba noodles
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 3 silver-beet leaves, thinly sliced (or other greens if you don’t have silverbeet!)
- Prepare all spices, and wash & chop the vegetables in preparation
- In a large saucepan, saute onion, garlic, and ginger in 1 tbsp of butter over a medium heat until soft. Add the remaining spices and cook for another 5 minutes over a medium-low heat to develop the flavour
- Add chopped pumpkin, chickpeas & 1 tbsp of stock paste, stir, replace lid, and cook for 30-minutes or until soft
- Put a pan of water onto boil, and prepare the soba noodles. Once cooked, drain well and place back in pot with lid on to keep warm
- Saute garlic & ginger in 1 tsp of butter, until soft. Add sesame seeds while pan is still hot, for 1 minute or until lightly toasted.
- Add sliced silverbeet to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until silverbeet is lightly cooked.
- Serve the curried pumpkin sauce over the soba noodles and sauteed silverbeet.
Option: Add sliced chicken thigh to the hot pan before silverbeet for extra protein (the photo has chicken in it), and a dollop of yoghurt 🙂
Enjoy my lovelies 🙂